Do you want to be successful?

sunset-summer-golden-hour-paul-filitchkin-large

Let’s be honest, success is hard. Not complicated, just hard. There’s no better way to succeed than to learn from the best.  We have outlined what we consider to be the top 10 characteristics of successful people.

So what characteristics do successful people have in common?

  1. They are passionate.  In life there are two types of people: strivers and seekers. Strivers know what they want to do early on whereas seekers have to discover what they love. Before you can achieve success, you will have to define what success means to you. Once you’ve found your passion, everything becomes so much easier.  If you love what you do then this will help you get through the toughest of days.
  2. They are ambitious. Successful people have desire and determination. They set clear goals and strive to achieve them. They believe in themselves, their companies, their products and services and their customers.
  3. They set achievable goals.  Successful people wake up and they’ve already planned the day ahead. Their goals are ambitious yet obtainable and are aligned to their strengths. They know what they are capable of and will invest all of their efforts in ensuring they achieve the outcome they desire.
  4. They go above and beyond.  Simply fulfilling their job description isn’t enough.  Successful people see this as just the beginning of what they can do.  They are constantly looking for new opportunities and projects to enable them to grow and stand out from the crowd.  They don’t turn up for work 5 minutes before they have to be there, they get there early. They plan, they prepare, they execute.
  5. They are constantly learning new things. They understand the importance of investing in their own education enabling them to learn, improve and evolve. Successful people aren’t afraid to try new activities and to fail at them. They focus on their strengths rather than their weaknesses. It’s fine to be bad at a lot of things.
  6. They work hard and play hard.  Success doesn’t come easily and it takes a lot of hard work and often sacrifice but it also needs to be fun.  Having an 80/20 split is a good guideline, 80% of your work should be enjoyable and the remaining 20% should consist of the serious, not-so-fun stuff. Implementing this simple rule can really make a difference and help you avoid burn out and stay focused and passionate about what you are doing.
  7. They are creative.  Successful people are constantly innovating.  They understand that the world is always changing and they must stay ahead of the curve.  They are always coming up with new ideas, searching for the next big thing and evolving the way they do things. They make change rather than being affected by it.
  8. They are persistent.  Successful people understand that things don’t come easily.  They make their own luck. Failure is inevitable; whether it’s making mistakes or facing rejection. It’s how you deal with it that determines your future success.
  9. They are courageous. To be successful you have to step outside your comfort zone and challenge yourself.  Remember growth and comfort never co-exist. The two biggest enemies to our success are fear and doubt. Confront your fears and doubt head on and you’ll be surprised what you can achieve.
  10. They are accountable. They take ownership and responsibility for their own actions.  They understand that they are the master of their own destiny. They constantly reflect and evaluate and subsequently take the necessary steps to ensure they are successful. They own up to their mistakes and immediately think of ways that they can improve next time, never making the same mistake twice.

Unfortunately there is no true overnight success or quick win. By encompassing the above characteristics you are taking the first step in becoming successful. Remember, hard work, dedication and perseverance will prevail.

Related Blogs